Since we record a new show every two weeks, on off weeks we do a link roundup of things we've read and want to share.
- This is an interesting article about what it's like to be a "historical adviser" on period movies: I have become very adept at giving three-minute lectures to buses and tents crammed full of extras, but whenever I get the chance I usually disappear off to the props trailer to see what exciting treasures have been sourced for the day’s scenes and exploit the chance to handle artefacts in a way that is impossible in a museum or archive.
- Racked has a super neat story about Mojoro, the woman who invented cosplay.
- This is from a few weeks ago, but if you haven't seen the video of Chris Evans and Elizabeth Olsen dancing on Ellen, you should, and if you have, watch it again.
- Ditto for this video of the Obamas dancing with R2-D2 and a Stormtrooper. Seriously, why are we letting them leave office?
- The Undefeated has an interesting profile of Nate Moore, the single African-American producer of the Marvel movies, and the reason we have a Black Panther on the big screen (in other words, thank you, Nate!).
- Um, did you know Nigeria is killing everyone at Scrabble? And they're doing it by memorizing all the short words, which totally turns traditional Scrabble strategy on its head.
- Allison Janney showed up and surprised the White House press corps by doing a briefing. She is perfect in every single way.
- Deandre Levy, y'all: I was 18 years old — "man" enough to drive, vote and go to war — but somehow I didn’t have the courage, or the maturity, to see what they were talking about for what it was: a serious crime.