Hello and welcome to This Week in Ladies!
Here's what we've got on tap for you this week:
- This Week in Comics
Original Sins #4, Rat Queens #7, Saga #21, Ms. Marvel #6 and She-Hulk #6 | We do our usual comics recap, but this week we're all about the Marvel gossip, y'all! Did you hear? The next Thor is gonna be a lady. More links:
- Technically, Thor is Now a Disney Princess (Kotaku)
- Marvel Comics Writers Explain Why They're Making Thor a Woman (TIME)
- Think Female Characters Don't Sell? Marvel Is Proving Everyone Wrong (HuffPost)
- Also, we didn't discuss this on the show, but check out One of Marvel's Avengers Turns to Sign Language (NYT)
- This Week in the Book Report
Books We Actually Want Adapted for Film or Television | Look, we're damn fine librarians, but I think this segment shows that Allison and I missed our true calling as Hollywood producers. We talk about our adaptation wishlist, covering everything from teen rom-coms to narrative nonfiction, with children's books, science fiction, and, surprise, comics in between. You can check out a complete list of the books we discuss at our LibraryThing page. What book would you option for the big screen? Who would you cast?
- Adult Dystopias: It's the End of the World As We Know It (c'mon, I had to!)
We compare and contrast dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction, and discuss some of the traits that distinguish dystopian novels written for adults from those written for teens. We consider that one of the differences is in what audiences of different ages fear. Hence zombies, which represent populism; vampires, rep'ing the one percent; and, werewolves, which represent the working class, as Tyler-"I"m not a werewolf, I just play one on TV"-Hoechlin explains. Unsurprisingly, we find The Handmaid's Tale quite chilling, as we fear the loss of our reproductive rights. For more on this topic, check out TV Tropes. We're seeking applicants for the position of post-apocalypse life coach, by the way, as we're pretty sure we're not cut out for that shit.
- This Week in Shit You Should Be Listening To
"These Aren't the Droids" by Neko Case and Kelly Hogan
Thanks for listening!